Monday, May 22, 2006

Friday, at the Salon

New York - May 19, 2006

I was at Elite Day Spa last Friday on 38th street after work, getting done one of the hundreds of things a woman has to do to be presentable, when I noticed that a lady who was paying for her service was staring at me. I just smiled, it wasn't particulary odd as people often stare at me, usually when I'm walking, and most likely because I'm tall (but I was sitting at the time, and still I didn't feel it to be strange?!?!) Anyway, I went back to my magazine. Then about 2 minutes later, when I looked up, she was still staring. So I held her gaze, always up for a staring contest, and she finally spoke the magic words:
Lady: "You look so familiar, where do I know you from"
Me: "I don't know"
Lady: "Where do you work?"
Me: "I work at 40th & Broadway"
Lady: "No, I don't know anyone there"

Ahhh...we came to a bump in the road, she definitely does not know me. She made a nice comment about the company I work for and I thought that was that...but no...

Lady: "What about before? Did you work on Wall Street?"
Me: "I'm from California, so I was working in LA before this"

She was exasperated that she couldn't place me. She wanted to recall so badly where it was that she knew me from. Oh well, just another unsatisfied stranger that I don't know.

No comments: